How an Orillian Facilitated the American Art Pottery Movement

Feb 15, 2022 | History, NEWS, Publications | 0 comments

By Fred Blair

In 1850, at 37 years old, Frederick married Anna Brownrigg in Cincinnati, Ohio. He was employed as a bookkeeper in Michael and Nimrod Tempest’s Hamilton Road Pottery.  In 1865, Frederick purchased the company.  He employed from 10 to 31 potters in making yellow clay ware, like ceramic fruit jars for the canning industry.  His pottery was not always stamped with the company name DALLAS.

About 1869, Frederick switched production to white clay ware to make finer art pottery.  At that time, upper class women were purchasing fired pottery to decorate as a hobby.  The advertisement in the image here was directed at those ladies. 

In 1876, an exhibition was held in Philadelphia to celebrate the Centennial of the United States.  Mrs. McLaughlin and Mrs. Nichols of Cincinnati were inspired by the underglaze art pottery produced in England, France, and Japan and they were both determined to learn the technique.

In 1879, Mary Louise McLaughlin formed the Cincinnati Pottery Club.  Maria Longworth Nichols was affronted as she did not receive an invitation to join the club.  This created some friction between the two ladies.  Mrs. Nichols had rented studio space at Coultry Pottery but had a dispute with them and left.  Frederick rented her some of his studio space.  Later that year the pottery club moved into Frederick’s Pottery as well.  However, his kilns were too hot to fire the finely painted glazed pieces.  Mrs. Nichols purchased a kiln to fire over glazes and Mrs. McLaughlin purchased one to fire under glazes.  There was artistic rivalry between the two ladies but they shared their special kilns with each other.  Both ladies had held the record for the largest vase crafted in the US at about that time.

Amanda Merriam’s plaque in the accompanying image was fired in all three types of kilns in the Dallas Pottery in 1882.  Mrs. Nichols’ “Dragon Vase”, circa 1879-1880, was fired there as well.

There were over 200 amateur potters in the city and Frederick saw an increasing demand for art pottery in the US.  He expanded the size of his pottery production while also investing in clay deposits in several states.  The number of potters in his employ increased to over 90 with a similar increase in other staff.  His pottery became the largest business in the city.  The number of other fine art potteries in the country increased as well and the market for art pottery became saturated in the early 1880s.

 On June 9, 1881, Frederick died and his pottery went out of business the following year.  Due to the decreased demand for their wares two other large potteries in the city went out of business too.  Mrs. Nichols however was undaunted.  In 1880, she used family money to purchase a factory and established Rookwood Pottery, which is still in business.  If you watch the American Antiques Roadshow, you will have seen some examples of their pottery.  Images of these Cincinnati lady’s work can also be found online.

MORE ARTICLES:

THE HISTORY OF OMAH’S CLOCKTOWER

THE HISTORY OF OMAH’S CLOCKTOWER

By Mary Ann Grant – OMAH History CommitteeWhat’s going on?? If you have been by OMAH recently you will have noticed the scaffolding installed on the building and the work underway. The Sir Sam Steele Memorial Building, specifically the clock tower, is getting some...

WENDY HUTCHINGS – TRIBUTE

WENDY HUTCHINGS – TRIBUTE

Wendy Hutchings – Tribute by Mary Ann Grant - OMAH History Committee The Orillia Museum of Art & History believes that it is important to acknowledge its supporters, those who have made a contribution to the culture of our community and to keeping our local...

Brief History of OTACO

Brief History of OTACO

R.W. Phelps was born on January 14, 1888 in Iowa. He ultimately graduated as an Industrial Engineer.  Early in his career he caught the attention of A.G. Bush who had a small company that manufactured one-cylinder engines that were used for farm and industrial...

John Ramsay and the Oro Settlers from Islay

John Ramsay and the Oro Settlers from Islay

By Fred Blair, OMAH History Committee John Ramsay grew up in Glasgow, Scotland.  In 1836, at the age of 22, he obtained a lease on the struggling Port Ellen whisky distillery on the Island of Islay in Argyllshire, Scotland.  In order to export whisky to the United...

Our Carnegie Library

Our Carnegie Library

By Mary Ann Grant, OMAH History Committee Did you know that Orillia’s first official Public Library was a gift from American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie? Andrew Carnegie was responsible for funding the building of libraries worldwide. The extent of the benefits...

HODGES’ LANDING: A BRIEF HISTORY

HODGES’ LANDING: A BRIEF HISTORY

By Fred Blair The “Historic Hawkestone” plaque, located at 375 11th Line South, Hawkestone, recorded that “Richard Hodges established a landing for settlers” on Lake Simcoe in the 1830s in the community that is now known as Hawkestone.  However, land records indicate...

EARLY EDUCATION IN ORILLIA

EARLY EDUCATION IN ORILLIA

By Trish Crowe-Grande, OMAH History Committee Chair In December 2021, it was announced that Orillia would have a new elementary school in 2024 to address the quickly growing area of West Ridge. As Orillia’s population continues to grow, it is a good time to reflect...

Arthur Peuchen, Canadian Survivor of the Sinking of the Titanic

Arthur Peuchen, Canadian Survivor of the Sinking of the Titanic

By Dave Osborne, OMAH member   It was 110 years ago this April 15 that the Titanic infamously sank. One of the survivors of that night had ties to Orillia and Simcoe County. Major Arthur Godfrey Peuchen was one of the First-Class passengers on the Titanic...

Booze!  Orillia’s Struggle with Drunkenness

Booze! Orillia’s Struggle with Drunkenness

by David Town What! No Beer?In 1908 a binding referendum in Orillia outlawed the sale of all alcohol. It was the culmination of a 50-year campaign to “civilize” the town and reduce the violence, crime and domestic hardship that followed drunkenness. For the next 40...

The Rev. Richard Greene’s Electric Car

The Rev. Richard Greene’s Electric Car

By Fred Blair The Rev. Canon Richard W.E. Greene served in Orillia for twenty-three years. An inductee in the Orillia Hall of Fame, he made an indelible mark on our community, making it richer due to his passion and commitment. Rev. Greene retired from ministry at St....