The History of Strawberry Island, Lake Simcoe

The History of Strawberry Island, Lake Simcoe

By Fred Kallin, OMAH History Committee member Anatari, Pa-Push-Quan, Gwillam’s Island, Lundy’s Island, Creighton Island, Anderson Island, Starvation Island: these are all previous names for a small 25-acre island in Lake Simcoe we now know as Strawberry Island. Few...
The Barons of Dallas

The Barons of Dallas

The Barons of Dallas By Fred Blair, OMAH History Committee member and Family Historian In 1835, James Dallas and his family sailed from Scotland to New York City, travelled up the Erie Canal, and made their way to Orillia.  In September he purchased 100 acres between...
CHIEF YELLOWHEAD’S JUSTICE IN 1832

CHIEF YELLOWHEAD’S JUSTICE IN 1832

CHIEF YELLOWHEAD’S JUSTICE IN 1832 Indians and Canoe at Coldwater River, 1844, Titus Hibbert Ware (Toronto Public Library) By Fred Blair, OMAH History Committee member and Family Historian This is a story of an accidental killing in 1832, an unsatisfactory trial...
THE TAITS OF ORILLIA

THE TAITS OF ORILLIA

THE TAITS OF ORILLIA Andrew Tait, 1896. Photo from the Orillia Museum of Art & History Archives By William Leslie, Guest Contributor This is the story of the Tait family. William Tait, his wife, Mary and family left Scotland in 1848 for Canada, travelling from...
THE DAVENPORT BROTHERS

THE DAVENPORT BROTHERS

THE DAVENPORT BROTHERS By Fred Blair, OMAH History Committee member and Family Historian About 1810, 20-year-old Benjamin Davenport, his younger brother William, and William’s wife Sarah arrived in Upper Canada (Ontario) as former Black slaves.  William was born in...